Rescue Operation

My current state of mind – Happiness. I finally could get the rest of the week off and landed in chennai yesterday. At present I’m at in-laws where I’m pampered to the core. While the pain is still the same with not much improvement, seeing my people has made me feel much better. And all those comments on my last post really warmed my heart. I’m yet to reply your mails, but I’m really touched by all the love showered on me from the blogging family. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

There is yet another reason for my happiness this morning.

We were just sitting around chatting this morning while my MIL came running from the backyard. She saw something inside our almost drying up well (Thanks to the Chennai summer and 450feet deep borewells all around in the neighbourhood, there is hardly any water in most of the wells). We all took a peek in and found it to be a bird. It was fluttering its wings rapidly which meant it was very much alive. Quickly S lowered a bucket inside and took it near the bird. Thinking that we were trying to hurt it, it kept moving all around the well. Given that the well is atleast 50feet deep it was hard moving the bucket around. Twice S could bring it closer so that the bird could get on to the bucket but the bird moved off quickly.

MIL suggested using an onion basket so that it would be more like a net and we would not hurt the bird with the weight. S struggled with the basket for over 45mins but the bird kept moving off. All of us were in the hot sun for more than one and half hours with nothing working out. Just then, the bird caught a part of the basket with its beak and S started pulling it out very slowly. Half way through, the bird lost strength I guess.. I fell down back into the water with a loud thud. Sigh. We were not sure if it was alive as it was hardly moving. The only option seemed to be removing all the water but that could take a long time. Again it fluttered its wings giving us new hope. S decided to try the basket for the second time. Within minutes, it was hooked on to the basket. With me and SIL praying hard, S began to pull out the basket real slow. It was *almost* out but fell down again. And we didn’t hear any thud this time. One look at S’s face made me realise what could have happened. It didn’t fall into water but between the motor pipes on a cemented area atleast 40feet deep. Worse, it was not moving. We waited with the basket near it for now than 20mins but it showed no signs of life.

Disheartened, we came back inside not knowing what to do. But our thoughts were still on that little bird. Each one of us kept going back to check for any movement but saw none. After another 20mins, SIL and I saw it move it’s leg ever so slightly. Immediately S was called and he kept lowering the basket near to it. But there was no way the bird could get up and jump.. We were fearing that it would have hurt itself very badly falling from such height. After spending another 30mins with nothing working out.. I had a light bulb moment.. Why not touch it with something? I saw a mop next to me and suggested we use it. S was convinced that we will push the bird right back into the water but SIL and I felt otherwise.

When we touched it with the mop, it fluttered it’s wings again and moved away from the pipes giving us some space to work around with the basket. After what seemed like an eternity in the hot sun, the bird was facing the basket but was not jumping into it. While S handled the basket to be around it correctly, I pushed the bird into the basket with the mop. This time it held onto the basket with its legs. I was praying fervently all the while not dropping the rope and S pulled it out slowly again. The bird was out safe!! I could hardly contain my excitement and ran into the house to inform the MIL, who was shocked seeing me run and jump. She was after me to slow down not listening to what I was saying πŸ˜€

The bird was visibly very scared and was shivering but it was not hurt. SIL and I stayed guard for it trying to shoo away the crows circling around the bird. I tried to serve some idli to it but it was shell shocked to even move an inch. After a while it’s wings were dried, I carried it to the varenda and left it there with food and water. We are taking turns to check on it now. It’s flying slowly but has still not touched the food.

What makes me glad is that we could save this tough little birdie today. I totally forgot my pain and was doing everything I could do to help save her. Yes I know it’s got to be a *Her*

Here is that beautiful, determined-to-live-come-what-may-ever bird that we saved today..



26 thoughts on “Rescue Operation

  1. Awesome gb.. very well done to everyone who made the rescue operation a success..

    Ahhhhhhhhhh god bless the little birdie.. Soon it will have all the strength to fly away and hopefully to its home and to other birdies who I bet are missed *her*..

    • Thanks a lot Bik πŸ™‚ She did find the strength to fly off in a few hours. Another thing that I learnt that day apart from her determination to live, she hardly touched the food or water we kept for her. She wanted to find her food, not served unlike human beings.

  2. Great that you managed to take off and visit home….get well soon GB …And kudos to you guys…that was real hard work…glad that little bird is safe..:-)

  3. So good to see the bird finally rescued. Kudos to you all.

    I am just catching up on your posts. I have no idea why I don’t see them on my reader. Anyway, I suffer from some chronic leg pains too. The main reason I haven’t slept well in years. FDA approved medicines for it, finally, but when I tried them they caused more havoc. So, I dropped off all meds. Al these years, if anything worked, that is distraction. You will know what will work and what wont, like you already mentioned in the last post. Avoid them. Hugs GB.

    • Thanks Dil πŸ™‚

      Opps. Take care. I can understand how you must be feeling. Yeah I am kind of doing the same with my pain. Sigh. Sometimes I can hardly stand and would like to grab a chair to sit. The next minute, I want to stand up. Its been horrible.

  4. That’s the huge happiness GB. Rescue animal is one of the most good thing to do in our life. Well done with your “mop” idea! By the way, how you know that it’s ‘Her’ ??? :p

  5. Visiting after a while… great effort by you all to rescue the little bird. Hope the leg pain is better / improving.

So, what's your say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s