……. from my much awaited trip to Chennai – the one that I made after what seemed like an eternity (that is more than 45days from my last trip). So far, this is my highest record. Every weekend when I hear my parents, I would want to run away to them atleast for an hour. But I resisted, for my own good. With every trip I make to Chennai, my health was coming down. Its worthwhile if I would stop missing my family lesser with every trip – No! I would crave for them even more and wish I could get another hour with them. So I decided enough is enough and resisted myself from planning a trip to Chennai until I can get a few days leave. Thankfully I could take off last week and I was too happy to have ten days for myself in Chennai until the reality struck me.
With all of them (parents, sister and parents-in-law) expecting my arrival, everyone wanted more of me with them. One day was spent at sister’s new house (which requires a post in itself), two days at parents place and then I was pulled into in-laws place for the next four days and then another two days at parents and the last day again at in-laws. My nomadic life continues to haunt me even in my vacation 😀 Just when I could settle at a place and a bed, I would have to move my bags to another house. I couldn’t satisfy anyone with my stay, everyone felt I didn’t stay with them long. Sigh. The side effects of all the loving people in my life!
On the day we started our road journey to Chennai, I gently nudged S to guess my plans while we were in Chennai. As expected he didn’t open his mouth which meant I had to make it clear for him. I had very simple wishes.
- Go on a beach walk – this time I wanted to go to Marina.
- Go to a movie with Tamil Audience, where I can ask S to whistle for me, when my fav scene comes up
- Visit some mall in Chennai, to which I got a stare from S. What do I do? I have visited so many malls here in Bangalore but not many in Chennai. I wanted to go to a new mall which got opened recently.
- Go to my favorite temple.
- Visit Vandalur Zoo – the one I have passed like some thousand times but never had gone inside.
- The last one was upto S – to surprise me with anything he thinks will sweep me off my feet.
By the start of the vacation, I pretty much knew none of this would materialize, as always. But to my sheer surprise, a lot others happened.
- I had left all my hopes on my exercise regime as I know how it would never work out. I was even ready to expect my weigh scale to show me how increased my weight would be by the end of the vacation. Thanks to all the pampering I would receive from all ends.
- But then, on the very first day – I and dad did walking together. He shared some of his ideas and I chipped in some of mine too and overall it was a great time spent together. When I thought its just a one time deal, sis joined me for walking in a park close by in the evening.
- The major surprise shock came in, when S got up at 5.50 every morning and took me for walking in the football grounds, that too when we were at in-laws. I mean, my MIL doesn’t understand or appreciate these kind of things, especially when her son has to sacrifice his sleep. But when S did it on his own, she couldn’t do much. We stuck on to our 1hr fast walking sessions in spite of rains, thanks to S!
- I had such heart to heart conversations with S. We had our arguments, little fights, laughs and hand holdings too. I so want to continue it here in Bangalore too, only if its possible as easily as in Chennai.
- The beach trip didn’t happen as I expected. It was atleast not how I imagined it to be. We went as a family to the beach, which meant I hardly had time with S. We didn’t even get a picture of us clicked. I sat with my SIL, watching the high tides while S was on guard for the SILs playing in water.
- What made me happy beyond words is the visit to the Aquarium exhibition on the other side of the beach. What variety of fishes. I was behaving like a kid, jumping with joy everytime I spotted a new fish. There is a proof for the way I behaved there – I got myself a dabba of bubble water and kept blowing bubbles until every around me rolled their eyes.
- Another interesting thing that happened was that I accompanied S to his office almost everyday. This is my first time after S has started his own company. I helped him in his work, some of it collaborative and some on my own. Nevertheless, everyday I felt so contented though dead tired. To get addressed as “Ma’m”, Boss’s wife, to get a kind of respect from everyone around me, the greetings every morning – almost made me quit my job and join as an employee in S’s company. There was something great there, that is missing in big corporate office.
Though none of the planned stuff happened, I couldn’t be happier for all that actually happened. With every trip to Chennai, I feel like I should move closer to my roots, to the place where my loved ones are and the one I fall in love with everytime I make a visit. I am crossing my fingers harder now, for some miracle to happen – which could take me to my happy place!
PS – To the frightened me, the weighing scale actually showed 1.5kgs lesser after my vacation. Yippie! I got to have my favorite foods and yet, no guilt at all. How I wish all vacations turn out to be so good as this one!