One of the main things that kept my family worried was that if I would starve myself every day without S. To be very frank, that was my thought too. For a person who hated to eat alone, I never could think myself to cook anything only for me. I had to hear everyday advises on how I should eat for myself and how I shouldnt stop cooking – even before S moved. I kept reminding myself – that I should cook something everyday. Once everything started happening.. I knew one thing for sure. Starving doesnt make things better – atleast for me. It isn’t going to bring back S to stay with me. Instead I am going to be giving him indirect trouble – the constant worry of whether I am starving. Cooking has always been my passions. I thought, why should I not enjoy myself. After all, the world isn’t ending because of certain changes in my life. I now cook every meal, every day – without losing even a single day, no matter how busy I am. Now tose meals might not be as detailed as they used to be. It can be a very simple curd rice or 2 dosas or some oats – But I am cooking. Dinner is where I get to try something crazy or wild. I have an hour before I can start back my work again at night and I am using it to the fullest to cook something I think I would love. Like the other day, I made Oats Pongal. And then, once I made Cabbage Rice. I am making my own recipes and everything is turning out awesome!! Cooking for myself is like Loving myself and I should continue to do it.
Today, I had additional time before I could get back to my work and thats when a crazy thought struck me. I immediately put that into action and thats how it resulted in Makki di roti with Kothamalli (coriander) Chutney – a perfect blend of North and South Indian but at the same time crazy too. No one would think of this combination except for a weirdo like me. But guess what.. it turned out great and I couldnt resist myself from posting it here *showing off :P*
Makki di Roti –
I just followed a recipe from the internet and modified it by adding a few ingredients to suit my taste.
- Maize flour – 1 cup
- Wheat flour – 2 tbsp
- Salt -as req
- Finely chopped onions – 1/3 cup
- Chopped green chili – 1
- Chopped Coriander – 2 tbsp
- Warm water – 3/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Take a mixing bowl and put together all the ingredients.
- Slowly add warm water little by little until the dough takes a form.
- Keep kneading it until its smooth. Add 1 tsp of oil finally and let the dough rest for 15-20 mins.
- Pinch the dough to form equal balls.
- To roll out this into a roti is the most tricky part. As maize flour is gluten free, it might not be sticky enough and it can break out while rolling.
- Cover the rolling plate with polythene cover and put the ball of dough on top. Now cover it with one more polythene sheet on top and then start rolling the ball to form a roti. It might not be smooth around the edges.
- Cook it on a tawa on both sides. Apply some ghee or oil, that the way its done for normal chapathi.
Kothamalli Chutney –
Its my mom’s recipe and as I love it absolutely, I didnt take the pain of going through internet all over again.
- Fresh Coriander – 2 cups
- Red Chilies – 3 (adjust acc. to the level of spiciness req.)
- Urad dal – 3 tbsp
- Mustard – 2 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1 tsp
- Tamarind Paste – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 3 tsp
- In a shallow pan, heat 2 tsp of oil and add 1 tsp of mustard along with the urad dal, chana dal and red chilies.
- Turn of the heat when the mixture roasts to golden brown.
- Clean the coriander and roughly chop it.
- In a blender, add the roasted mixture along with asafoetida, salt, tamarind and fresh chopped coriander. Blend until smooth.
- Now add the remaining oil to the tadka pan and put over the mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the tadka to the ground chutney. Its ready to serve 🙂
I have now devised a more efficient way of torturing S. I just share the pics of my food and tempt him more 👿
PS – Work is just making me go crazy. I have no clue if its day or night, for I have been working frantically for the past few days. I am hoping things will be better from next week or else, I am sure I would go mad. I am trying to read all the unread posts from my reader and somehow now, I have managed to reply to all of your comments. I am touched by all of your wonderful wishes. Thank you so much people!!! 🙂